I love sharing recipes. I will never hold back if asked for one, and this one is good enough to share. I found it on allrecipes.com, my favorite place to get recipes. Anyhow, I will no longer miss Panera’s Broccoli Cheese soup, nor will I miss Silver Spoon’s (American Cafe) Potato Cheese Soup. This one will cover it for me. So here it is.
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoon butter
½ cup plus 2 Tablespoon flour
4 cups chicken broth
4 ½ cups milk (use partial heavy cream if possible)
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 bunch broccoli florets, chopped small
¾ lb Velveeta cheese
2 cups Cheddar Jack shredded cheese
1. Melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add flour, stir constently for about 2 minutes
3. Slowly pour in chicken broth then milk, & garlic salt
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 min
5. Meanwhile steam broccoli.
6. Gradually add cheeses until all is melted.
7. Add broccoli
8. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
Try it with potatoes instead of broccoli… yum. Or cut up some extra hot dog or hamburger buns. Melt some butter in a skillet and fry them up. (Home made croutons) If you just make it cheese soup, add some croutons to the top it will taste like Grilled Cheese Soup. This is an excellent base for anything cheese soup. I hope you enjoy it! 🙂