Car Accident

Last night I put the kids to bed and was anticipating watching a documentary via internet at about 10pm. At 9pm Lydia was still awake due to her long nap that afternoon. We were also out of milk, so I decided to take Lydia and run to the store. As I left I was surprised at how much snow had fallen, but our street still looked pretty good. However, when I got to the stop sign to turn left onto 7800 S the road did look worse. I thought, “What if I got in an accident.” but pushed away the thought because I’ve driven in the snow so much.

So, I carefully turned and drove down the street. Before I reached Gardener Village I saw an SUV out of control spinning and crossing into my lane (she had been heading east as I headed west). I gently put on the brakes (knowing that slamming them would make it worse for me) and tried to turn the wheel to pull over to the side of the road, trying desperately to get out of her way. But to no avail the back of the SUV hit the front driver’s side of the car. It was a rough impact, but with no airbags. There was a car behind me, but thankfully they were able to stop in time and didn’t hit me in the back. However, he turned around and left. I turned to see if Lydia was ok, but the car seat had done it’s job. She was so brave and didn’t even cry, she just kept saying, “We stuck mommy. We stuck.”

I tried to turn my car on to move it out of traffic, but the engine wouldn’t turn over making me feel very vulnerable. I was afraid someone would not be paying attention and slam into the car making everything worse. I noticed the SUV turn around and go to the other side of the street. I realized I didn’t have my cell phone and thought she was leaving. I was felt completely stranded. But she did stop and eventually made her way to my car. Another SUV stopped to help us and called the police.

Eventually another car stopped, Dave Smith, and asked if there was anything he could do to help. He said he was the one driving behind me and he had turned around so he could go call the police. He then came back to see if there was anything he could do to help. By this point in time I had borrowed a phone. I had forgotten Aaron’s phone number, but after about 5 minutes I was thinking more clearly and called him. He thought it was someone else calling, so he didn’t answer. I meant to leave a message, but I didn’t. Apparently I didn’t hang up either because he got a 2 1/2 minute message and could hear that I was in some kind of trouble. So when Dave Smith asked if he could help, I asked him to drive to my house to get Aaron.

The cops showed up took all the information, blocked part of the road, making me feel safer. However, by this point in time my car was totally and completely dead. The lights weren’t working and the ignition started dinging so I turned off the car with a whoosh of life out of it. It was beginning to get cold and the cops had to lend me a flashlight in order to for me to write my statement.

Thankfully Aaron finally came and we transfered Lydia and the car seats to his car. I got everything out of my car that had anything of worth because I knew at the very least it would be a while before I got my car back and at the worst the car would be totaled. I honestly don’t see how they could fix my car. It was BAD.

After leaving the scene Aaron insisted on taking us to Chili’s. Chili’s chips and salsa has always been there for us! šŸ™‚ We’re doing fine. My left shoulder is sore, but in light of things, I’m good. The power went out this morning and will more than likely be out all day, but again, I’m happy I’m not in the hospital, either myself or my daughter.

Thank the Lord that we are safe and sound. That he protected us and continues to give us life and breath for another day.

Two final notes:

1. Aaron, for whatever reason, had posted his phone number that day and I thought to myself, “I should really memorize that. There have been several times I don’t have my phone and I need to call him.” And I repeated his number several times. If it hadn’t been for that, I wouldn’t have remembered his number.

2. After I was sitting in Aaron’s car, he had gone to get stuff out of mine, and I started crying. Lydia kept saying, “It’s ok mommy. It’s ok.” So I reached back for her hand. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it. Eventually I tried to let go and she wouldn’t let me. I began to wonder how it was possible that my 2-year-old daughter could bring so much comfort to her mom.


3 thoughts on “Car Accident

  1. That is a crazy story. I am glad that you and Lydia are okay.

    It’s scary being in an accident and having the fear of somebody else hitting you. Joey was in a car accident once on I-215 and while he was talking to me another car slid on the same patch of ice and rammed into the car he was sitting in. Then I started panicking even more but everyone was okay.

    I’m glad you had some nice people around to help you. God is good!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s